Welcome to The Gardner CAC
The Gardner Community Action Committee, Inc. (Gardner CAC) is a non-profit human service agency located at 294 Pleasant Street in Gardner, Massachusetts, which provides a variety of services for the residents in the Greater Gardner community who are in need. Since the inception of the Gardner CAC in 1970, it has played a fundamental role in assisting individuals in making positive changes in their lives. “They are vital to us,” is one statement echoed by Gardner Mayor Gerald St. Hilaire.
The Gardner CAC provides support in emergency situations to those who are experience temporary difficulties in making ends meet, and continual services to those whose income does not meet basic living expenses, including the working poor and low-fixed incomes. We fill the gap for families and individuals who have yet to or are not eligible to receive aid form other sources. An information and referral specialist is on hand to answer to refer individuals in the correct direction if the Gardner CAC can not be of direct assistance.
Join Our Mailing List...
If you would like to receive occassional email messages regarding our needs and events please join our mailing list by clicking here
Did You Know...
• Over 1 in 3 members of households served are children under 18.
• 7% are elderly
• Only 1 in 3 households include at least one employed adult.
• 6% are homeless
• Approximately 1/3 of the people receiving food assistance have to choose between paying for food or paying for utilities, heating fuel, medicine, medical care, rent, and mortgages.
• To afford a two-bedroom home at the nationally weighted FMR (Fair Market Rent) a minimum wage worker would have to work 92 hours per week.
• 9.8% (630,00 individuals) of Massachusetts’s population lives below the poverty level.
Statistics from America's Second Harvest national study